Salary: £42,000 - £54,000 pa dependent on experience level
Location: Bournemouth, Dorset
Who are you?
My client is looking for wonderful web developers who want to do it right, do it together and make a difference. You'll be part of a team helping to develop websites, apps and internal systems so that their customers can get peace of mind with the right insurance cover for their homes, holidays, wheels and pets and their staff can make life easy when it's time to make a claim.
My client is an international insurance company (offices across Europe and Asia) with a history which goes back almost 200 years, they are in Europe's top 20 list of insurance companies and they regularly win awards for excellent insurance cover* and being easy and straightforward to deal with.
They have 3,000 staff across 5 UK locations and 5 million customers… that's a lot of eyes on your web pages!
- Excellent analytical skills, taking a methodical approach to problem solving
- Strong knowledge of web design, architecture and standards (including coding for accessibility) and experience in applying this knowledge within the development cycle
- Broad understanding of front and back end development
- Knowledge of agile methodology and practices, able to mentor others in this approach
- Proactive and self-organised with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities while ensuring that you and the team deliver success
- Able to foster strong relationships with stakeholders and the wider team
- Experience of working in a very collaborative team focused on sharing knowledge and skills to ensure the best outcome or solutions
- Experience of working on medium to large projects with a proactive approach towards leading from a development viewpoint including delegation where required
- Managing developers from a performance point of view
- A positive approach to challenges, enthusiasm to tackle new technology and ability to take ownership
During a typical sprint, you will:
- Mentor and develop team members to improve their technical skills and their knowledge of good practice agile development techniques, architectural decisions, application design, analysis, coding, testing…
- Research better ways to do things
- Take responsibility for the project deliverables and ensure they are completed within budget and to program schedules
- Help with Backlog Refinement; fully understand a user story and the expected outcome, break it down into manageable chunks and create the relevant business driven development (BDD) scenarios
- Get involved with Sprint Planning; work collaboratively with the Product Owner/Analyst and Scrum Master to agree what's possible in the next sprint and define the Sprint Goal
- Take part in the Sprint Review; demo new functionality and explain how the user stories have been fulfilled
- Participate in Daily Stand Ups; provide honest updates about progress towards Sprint Goal, what happened yesterday, what's planned for today and whether anything is in the way
- Contribute to the Sprint Retro; suggest areas to help the team evolve and improve productivity and where IT can assist in meeting business objectives and requirements
- Provide support for releases including the production of release notes as well as assist in rectifying any live issues
More generally, you will:
- Become an expert in at least one core business system and associated business processes
- Share knowledge of the business systems and processes with the wider team
- Manage resources effectively and ensure they are aligned to business needs, escalating concerns to management where appropriate
- Conduct performance reviews and 1-2-1 meetings with team members
- Deputise for the Development Team Leader when necessary to ensure effective management of the team and tasks
To ensure my client focus on the right things and deliver changes when they're needed, they have adopted Scrum methodology, so you will be working closely with the business, analysts and testers and will be fully involved at all stages of the development life-cycle from the initial idea to the delivery.
This means you will be providing technical expertise and guidance to the rest of the team, designing new functionality, suggesting enhancements, tackling technical debt and live issues, providing estimates, writing code, creating automated tests and implementing changes, all within project deadlines.
Benefits on offer:
- Holiday 25 days initially (rising to 27 days after 3 years)
- Company pension
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Additional "Flexible Benefits" allowing you to buy an additional 5 days holiday each year, take out a personal car lease, subscribe to health and dental plans, add life assurance of 4 x salary with the option to flex up
- Wellbeing activities
- Sports and Social Club events
- "Dress for Your Day" policy which means you have the option of what to wear depending on what your day holds
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounts with a wide range of retailers through our partner Perkz.com
* My client has scooped a Gold Standard Insurance Award for the last nine years running - a great testament to their dedicated teams across their UK offices.
For more information on this exciting opportunity please contact Athena Antoniou -
E: firstname.lastname@example.org / T: 01372 748444