HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT - READING
As Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading and managing multiple teams of developers (nearshore), supporting them in building industry leading technology around Big Data. You will have the ability to guide, mentor and lead the micro-service based architecture. In addition to this, you will work closely with the CTO and Product team to shape the development strategy for ongoing product development and scalability.
- Engage with key stakeholders, internal and external, to understand the product and user environments of the solutions we are creating
- Generate appropriate design documents, wireframes and other forms of documentation to clearly represent the solutions being created
- Work with other team members to allow them to implement the designs, including design and code reviews
- Assist in troubleshooting software application issues
- Manage multiple teams of engineers
- Nurture and support team members to perform at their best making sure the team is driven, content and working as one
- Be an agile enthusiast and help teams constantly improve and refine their working practices.
- Remove impediments to Engineering teams facilitate performance and enjoyment
- Manage the professional development and learning opportunities for your team members
- Join the technology strategy session to help innovate and drive new technology choices with the CTO
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Critical thinking and problem solving
Thorough knowledge of Java SDK, Spring Framework and Spring Cloud technologies
Good knowledge of Angular 2, NodeJS, Grunt and Gulp
Self-starter with a natural curiosity to learn and develop capabilities
Displays energy, drive and stamina
Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
Must be a strong team player
Above all else we're looking for someone who's passionate about producing high quality code, automation and continuous delivery.
Strong software engineering background; we need someone with hands on knowledge and experience of how to produce high quality.
Experience of cloud platforms like AWS and/or functional programming languages like Scala would be a bonus.
Experience working with co-located teams
Prior experience as a Software Development Manager managing agile teams
Strong management experience
Strong leadership skills
Hadoop experience including the larger stack
Elastic Search / SOLR
SQL / NoSQL databases
Experience of implementing automated deployment solutions