My client are the UKS leading insurance premium finance provider and due to sustained, organic growth they are now looking for a Development Manager to join them at a very exciting time.
Purpose & Objectives of the Role
The Core Loans team within IT support the daily operation of my clients core loans systems supporting 300 internal users, external brokers and producers. The systems are responsible for 3.5 transactions a minute and in managing £1Bn of financial transactions.
My client requires a Development Manager to manage the development activities on the Core Loans Platforms. The platform comprises many applications, the scope includes managing multiple strands of full life cycle application development, testing and deployment support.
The main focus of the role will be to ensure customer satisfaction through the delivery of quality solutions required through the development, test and delivery of changes to the core loan systems.
The role will co-ordinate and manage multiple delivery teams (including Agile) to ensure that committed timelines and costs are managed through the lifecycle.
There is no direct responsibility for the build and support of the hardware infrastructure, however. the successful candidate will combine a level of hardware, operating systems, application software and development knowledge to deliver resilient and stable systems for use by internal and external users, customers and suppliers.
A pragmatic approach and a keen eye for detail with strong communication and relationship building skills at all levels is essential. This is a hands-on role involving responsibility for the end to end delivery of the changes the platform remit. The candidate is therefore likely to be a self-starter who possesses high standards, attention to detail, lifecycle knowledge and the ability to prioritise within and across teams.
This role will involve making a major contribution to the successful support and delivery of the Company's:
Core Loans systems
Interfaces to other systems including Digital and customer fulfilment (email, SMS, print and post)
Building and maintaining a relationship with the internal and outsourced providers in support of the above is essential
Learning and developing a strong understanding of the Core Loans systems and how they run and interact with other systems
Being proactively involved in the support and development life cycles associated within the platform scope and leading the go live process, including the release planning, the release and ensuring the end users are trained before any release and are properly supported after the change.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
1. To take a leadership role developing my clients Core Loans applications. This will include:
Liaising with the Core Loans Platform lead, Project managers, business analysts and development teams to deliver IT application solutions in line with committed timescales and costs.
Managing and prioritising a pipeline of development requests and work orders.
Planning the delivery across the teams to ensure tracking and delivery timelines are met
Instructing delivery teams on work in line with agreed priorities
Responding to requests for work from project managers providing estimates and timelines for their approval
Manage and ensure the appropriate design, documentation and approval steps are followed
Managing onshore and offshore teams to deliver the outcome back to project managers
Instigating and following the delivery process (including Agile) enhancing as appropriate.
Nurturing effective relationships with third party suppliers, business users, testers and operational support areas to understand requirements, resolve problems/issues, suggest solutions and identify areas for improvement.
Understanding the contracts in place with third party suppliers and how they relate to daily delivery
Liaising with the End Users, Service operations team, 3rd parties and internal support team through the delivery lifecycle
Preparation of release documents and management of application releases into the Test, Preproduction, Production and production Support Environments;
Working with Project Managers, service managers and the Platform Lead to create and deliver against project plans that ensure all environments are ready for UAT and regression testing and promotion into production
Maintaining processes to capture and report on progress in an accurate and timely manner.
Ensuring the production of management information.
Responsibility for the operation of any third party contracts for Core Loans development and the associated management of the supplier to that contract, escalating to the Platform Leader as appropriate.
2. To become an acknowledged expert on the application architecture of the Core Loans platform and the maintenance of their architectural integrity, capability and performance. Typically, this will include:
Becoming familiar with the end to end solution and how any given delivery will impact
Understanding the infrastructure used to deliver the Core Loans services to include but not limited to:
All physical and virtual servers in house or outsourced
All networking infrastructure
All application software and application extensions used to deliver the services
All File transfers between systems and to third parties
Managing and populating test environments to achieve successful end to end testing.
Managing regression, acceptance, implementation of software releases
3. To ensure that resourcing for the Core Loans development team is sufficient and effective. Activities may include:
Ensuring personal and individual capture of time recording and project statistics is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
To ensure cover is in place for absence within the team
Working with any third party development teams to ensure timely invoicing and alignment of costs to support or change.
4. Training and Learning
To undergo training as appropriate in support of the above.
To complete company learning and regulatory assessments on time
To provide out-of-hours cover as requested in support of the above.
Travel and assisting outside normal working hours from time to time, where reasonably requested in connection with the above.
5. Travel may be required from time to time as appropriate for the role including India.
6. To undertake any other tasks as agreed with the platform owner.
1. Minimum 5 years' development or support experience on mission-critical, transactional systems, preferably gained in a financial services environment.
2. Full development lifecycle experience, including implementation planning and the setup of delivery methods.
3. Minimum 2 years' experience of working with offshore IT company
4. Knowledge of account transactions, events and reconciliations in a finance system environment.
5. Minimum 2-years' experience in a business or technical leadership role including interfacing to IT development teams.
6. Ability to liaise with and manage the expectations of business representatives at all levels.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication including strong document authorship skills.
8. Strong logical thinker with high standards of accuracy and a good eye for detail.
9. Aptitude to develop expertise in the application architecture and programming tools employed in my clients systems
10. High level of personal initiative
1. Degree education
2. Project management methodology e.g. Prince 2
3. Microsoft project experience
4. Office 365
Preference will be given to any candidate with one or more of the following skills
1. Offshore experience
2. Experience in a similar IT development role
3. Financial services background.
For more information, please contact Lee Barham on 01372 748 444 / firstname.lastname@example.org